Legal Question in Family Law in New York

After becoming a US citizen, is there a timeframe before I (man) can get married to a non-US citizen? If relevant, her visa to US expired.

Asked on 10/15/13, 10:25 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Steve Brodsky Esq.

There is no waiting period, and in your case, you should get married as soon as possible to protect her.

Read more
Answered on 10/15/13, 10:27 am
Bruce Provda Provda Law Firm

Yes, the above answer is correct. However, it would not hurt to speak with an immigration attorney to discover all the steps needed for her to be a permanent resident.

Read more
Answered on 10/15/13, 11:02 am
Alexander Tsiring The Tsiring Law Firm, P.C.

There is no time frame or waiting time, you can do that as soon as you wish. However, in order for your future wife to obtain permanent resident status, you will need to go through immigration process after you marry her. Just marriage will not give any immigration rights.

Read more
Answered on 10/15/13, 11:40 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York