Legal Question in Family Law in New York

We're both on the deed to the house. I left the marital home 2 months ago with a few things to stay with my parents. He changed the locks 1 week after I had left. I went to go there yesterday, and he wouldn't give me the combination to get inside home, he had his brother come and let me in. My husband is verbally abusive and in no way could I stay with him. I do not want the marital home in the divorce.

Could it work against me that I moved out of the house? And what right does he have to lock me out of the home?

Our home was the home he grew up in, he put me on the deed in 2016, 2 years ago. Does that have any impact?

Thank you.

Asked on 8/31/18, 7:08 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

eric saparli Eric Saparli, Esq.

Since your name is on deed, you have right in property and you can sell him her share if you do not want house.

Read more
Answered on 8/31/18, 6:34 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York