Legal Question in Family Law in New York

I live in New York and I have been told that inorder for child Support to collect the money from my ex, I must go to the Supreme court and get a modification have family court with concurrent jurisdiction.

Is that something that I can do on my own? Or do I have to hire an attorney?

Asked on 4/29/10, 12:47 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Joel Salinger Law Office of Joel R. Salinger

If you original divorce settlement or judgment does not give Family Court concurrent jurisdiction you can go to Supreme Court and file for a modification of the judgment of divorce. You can file this yourself. Go to the clerks office in the supreme court for assistance. You can also go to the website of the Office of Court Administration, There might be forms you can use to assist you. Other than that, I suggest you retain an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 5/04/10, 9:56 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York