Legal Question in Civil Litigation in New York

Would it be possible to file and proceed in carrying out a lawsuit with an attorney who is a litigator and an excellent criminal defense attorney, but not specialized in civil suits? The lawyer i wanted to use, i had originally used in my criminal case and am very happy with, and he wants to do the lawsuit but he is not 100% clear on filing the civil papers. Are there options for this type of situaton? Are there ways to work around this. Could he possibly hire an outside person to do the filing, and he himself could carry out the majority of the lawsuit. I appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

Asked on 9/08/12, 7:25 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jason Stern Law Offices of Jason Stern

If you want solid representation you should hire a criminal defense lawyer for criminal defense work and a civil litigator for civil litigation. Asking one attorney to excel at both may be asking too much.

Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 9/08/12, 7:41 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in New York