Legal Question in Intellectual Property in New York

how do I copyright something

Asked on 10/25/17, 9:50 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Frank Natoli Natoli-Legal, LLC


Any creative expression will be covered by copyright law automatically. Then you register the work with the US Copyright Office so to perfect your bundle of federal rights like the right to access the courts, the right to ask for statutory damages (sometimes the only damages worth bringing the case over), the right to attorney fees, etc. You can visit the US Copyright Office website of course for a lot more information and guides, etc.

If you need more help, I suggest that you consult with a lawyer in private and discuss your objectives in more detail. You can start by calling around to several for a free phone consultation, get some insights then pick the best fit to work with.

If you would like to discuss further over a free phone consult, feel free to contact me anytime that is convenient.

Our firm is now referred by the American Bar Association (see under the New York section):

Kind regards,



[email protected]

DISCLAIMER: this is not intended to be specific legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. No attorney-client relationship is formed on the basis of this posting.

Read more
Answered on 10/25/17, 9:56 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Intellectual Property questions and answers in New York