Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in New York

I own a home in up state NY. I let a cousin rent for 10years. He hasn't paid in 2 years. I asked him to get out. He refused. He filed paperwork to allow him to stay there until it goes to court. I have to live with one of my children due to my finances. he is causing me a hardship while he lives free in my home. Courts are backed up. Can I just sell the house and If I do what would be the penalty to me. If you don't know where can I find my answer.

Asked on 12/22/21, 12:40 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

Doubt anyone would buy with him living there. You need to hire a lawyer to bring an eviction and ejectment lawsuit to obtain a judgment and have Sheriff remove him.

Read more
Answered on 12/22/21, 12:56 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in New York