Legal Question in Medical Malpractice in New York

I owe a doctor money for labwork. I admit the debt is valid, but I have refused to pay until and unless the physician sends me copies of correspondence which she undertook with my employer in which she revealed private information re my health status without my consent. Now the doctor is threatening to take me to small claims' court. Is this just a bluff? The total is only $600. Should I separate the two issues by paying the debt and taking the physician to court myself for violating HIPAA? All I really want is the paperwork in case I find myself in litigation with my employer, and it irk me to pay the physician money when she refuses to do me this courtesy--and isn't it my legal right to have copies of all documents pertaining to my private medical file?

Asked on 1/16/11, 1:36 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kevin Connolly Kevin J. Connolly

Sue him first for the HIPAA Violation. Worth much more than $600. Pathologists tend to be stupid and this exemplifies it.

Read more
Answered on 1/23/11, 7:40 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Medical Malpractice Law questions and answers in New York