Legal Question in Real Estate Law in New York

My father and I are both on the deed for my house and I am selling in NYS. He co-signed for the loan when I purchased home from my ex-husband and the bank lawyers put us both on the deed. When I sell the home, do we have to pay transfer tax in both NYS (where house is and I live) and CA (where my father lives)?

Asked on 3/05/20, 8:19 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John O'Donnell Attorney at Law

I am a New York attorney, so I cannot directly answer your question with respect to California transfer taxes. However, "transfer taxes" are typically "fees" imposed when real estate is sold. They are not actually taxes and, therefore, it is unlikely that your father would have to pay transfer taxes in California. You may want to consult an attorney in California to be sure.

Read more
Answered on 3/06/20, 7:15 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in New York