Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in New York

I brought my stepfather's will to Westchester County Surrogate Court in April. I returned will the paperwork they asked for. Now they need more information. I am sole beneficiary and executor of the estate. I feel overwhelmed. I was told I could do this without a lawyer. Is it possible or should I get a lawyer.

Asked on 1/07/17, 9:56 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

Retain counsel to process probate, file petition, notify next of kin, collect assets, pay creditors, etc.

Read more
Answered on 1/07/17, 10:53 am
Michael Haber Law Offices of Michael S. Haber

Well, you know what they say: Don't ask a barber if you need a haircut. But the truth is that while you were "told" you could do this without an attorney, you are running into some trouble. While it certainly may be "possible" to handle the matter without an attorney, you are still at the very beginning of the process and already feel "overwhelmed." Not only can an attorney do this much faster than you, but an attorney will prevent any of a number of things from going wrong. You should, in my view, consider hiring an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 1/07/17, 11:50 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in New York