Legal Question in Criminal Law in North Carolina

I have a case coming up... a misdemeanor charge, but not pretty. Been offered a plea deal. I am not guilty of the actual charge (the other person is). The lesser charge (plea deal) is more representative of what happened, though, not without provocation.

I paid an attorney to represent me. A witness in the case against me turns out to be an assistant clerk of court. The attorney now says he doesn't want to risk his relationship with the Clerk's office by challenging the assistant clerk's testimony in court which, if anything like her statement to the police, is completely inaccurate and unlike what actually occurred. My attorney won't represent me in court and wants me to accept a plea deal. I might accept the deal just to make it all go away. But, I could likely beat the actual charge in trial.

Q 1. What do I get for my money? Should I get my money back?

Q 2. If this attorney doesn't want take the case, then other local attorneys would likely shy away, too. Can I get a fair trial here, or should I complain to the Court that I cannot get earnest representation and, therefore, no fair trial in this county?

Asked on 9/29/21, 8:01 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

Your attorney appears to be a giant pussy and is looking out more for his own interest instead of yours. If that is the case, you should likely give serious consideration to hiring another attorney assuming the whole county isn't full of similar spineless puss-cakes. Of course, you have zero idea whether you can " likely beat the actual charge in trial..". This is good 'ol boy North Carolina and if things come down to your word against an assistant clerk - who do you think a Judge is likely to believe. Hint - likely not you. So before you go charging off to fight the good fight, just remember that here in NC more often than not, you get as much justice as you can afford and who you know is typically more important than the truth so think about that plea deal long and hard along with how getting popped as charged will affect you before you turn it down. Of course, if you lose you can always appeal to super court and have a jury trial which minimizes the Judge's input but that is gonna cost - a lot! Had your attorney presented things to you that way, he likely wouldn't have come off as such a disgusting puss-bag. Best of luck.

Read more
Answered on 9/29/21, 1:53 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in North Carolina