Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

My girlfriend and I have a daughter out of wedlock. I am no longer happy with the relationship and wish to leave, though I fear that, in an emotional attack, she will sue for child custody and support. In turn I do not feel she is a suitable mother on her own. What are my best options, and what info should I have before making a solidified decision?

Asked on 6/05/20, 7:45 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

The mother doesn't need to sue for custody - she already has custody. All she would need to do is pop you good and proper for child support which she will likely easily get and is in fact entitled to. For you to characterize a mother wanting custody and support for her child as an 'emotional attack' on you basically calls into question your suitability as a parent. If you leave, you would likely need to be the one to sue for custody unless you and your girlfriend can come to a fair agreement yourselves. If so, the easiest, cheapest and best way to handle child custody, support and visitation is with a formal written parenting agreement. Our firm can prepare that for you for a flat rate fee of $250 - just call us at (910) 333-9679. If you can not come to an agreement, your best bet is to consult with a local family law attorney who can review your specific situation in detail and lay out your options for you - it will likely be expensive if you have to go that route and the end result will likely be the same or similar to what you could have agreed to for $250. Best of luck.

Read more
Answered on 6/06/20, 7:19 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina