Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

If the house in in the husbands name only, can he legally make the wife move out? Even if the house was purchased before marriage. In NC

Asked on 12/31/13, 6:05 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

From a general stand point, he can not 'legally' physically force the wife out sua sponte - meaning on his own. In order to get the wife out legally he will need to file what is known as a divorce from bed and board and a judge will determine if there is cause to force the wife out of the marital house. However, since it is his house he could legally destroy it which would cause wife to have to leave. That's an extreme and unlikely option but theoretically possible.

Read more
Answered on 12/31/13, 9:10 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina