Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

I live in NC and my ex lives in Texas with our 3 children. My child support order was finalized in SC. Two of our children have reached the age of emancipation. In which state must I seek to have my support order modified?

Asked on 7/11/18, 5:02 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

What do you mean by 'reached the age of emancipation'? If you mean that two of the children are now 18 or older and not otherwise still subject to the child support order, then typically you would seek to modify the child support order where it originated. However, you should consult with a local family law attorney where you live just to be sure that is the best and most affordable option. Depending on what your child support order says, you may simply be able to stop paying under certain circumstances.

Read more
Answered on 7/11/18, 5:08 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina