Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

How do I get a non relative name off my deseaced mother in laws bank account

Asked on 4/22/14, 6:48 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

There are too many questions here and no details. An estate needs probated for your mother. Jointly held bank accounts are non-probate assets though and any money in the bank account would automatically pass to the surviving party named be they a relative or not.

Unless you are trying to show that the funds in the account belonged to your mother and she did not intend to benefit this person (which begs the question as to how this other person was on the account) or there was some kind of fraud or undue influence by the surviving person, then I don't see how the other person can be removed.

If you are trying to show fraud or that the funds really belonged to your mother, you are going to need an attorney. Start with a probate attorney who practices in the county/state where your mother lived prior to her death.

Read more
Answered on 4/29/14, 9:34 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina