Legal Question in Civil Litigation in North Carolina

4 years ago, I went to court for a simple worthless check. I paid the fine and the case was settled. However, recently I applied for a job and was told that I did not pass the criminal background check. This is the only thing that shows up on my record, is there anyway that I can get it removed, so that it doesn't affect my ability to get a job in the future?

Asked on 10/26/12, 7:25 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kenneth Love Ken Love Law

This is actually a criminal issue and not civil, luckily in my former employment I learned a little about this.

What you need is called and expungement. This is when a notation on your criminal record can be removed if certain grounds can be met. You will need to speak to an attorney. Some of the Legal Aid offices across the state are able to assist with this at no cost. The process can get complicated and you only get one shot at it so I don't recommend trying it without an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 12/06/12, 11:12 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in North Carolina