Legal Question in Family Law in Ohio

I have an infant child, joint custody with the father. I willingly gave him joint custody. Mistake. We cannot get a long at all, and about every weekend I get yelled and cussed at. I try to have open communication with him via text messages. However, I feel it has gotten out of hand. He texts me about 3 times a day asking how our child is doing. If i don't respond he will call my cell phone and then my home phone. Sometimes 5 times in a row. I know I eventually need to obtain full custody and I am going to try to talk to someone on how to handle him. But legally, as having joint custody, do i have to answer every one of his text messages every day? I feel that he is trying to control my life more than having an interest in our child. I know I can't get him to go away, but can i limit the texts/calls to only on the weekends regarding pick-up/drop-off arrangements and "major" life decisions, rather than give him a detailed log of what we did every day. I want to have my own life again! Also, I have read the court order several times and the only things it says about phone communication is that "each parent shall provide information to the other on the child's needs and performance in different areas including education and medical information and the child's activities". I am assuming this doesn't mean when he ate, when he went the pool, etc. It also says that the other parent shall have phone communication with the child, but the child cannot talk yet. I hope someone can help me, i sure need it. Thank you so much.

Asked on 7/13/10, 5:53 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Nancy Fioritto Patete Nancy Fioritto Patete, Esq.

You both should try to find a way to get along. This is probably a counseling matter. Lake County Domestic Relations Court has a very effective mediation department. I suggest seeing if you qualify for a mediation session or two, by calling them even though your case is through juvenile court there. You can also ask juvenile court whether they can mediate this parenting issue. If not, try a private group.

Read more
Answered on 7/13/10, 9:04 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Ohio