Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Ohio

I loaned a friend 3500.00 to help them put a roof on their house now they dont want to pay it back what can I do?

Asked on 12/28/11, 8:07 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Edward Stoll Stoll, Ltd.

You can file a small claims complaint against them. It is only after you have a judgment on the loan that you will be able to potentially put a lien on their property or attempt to garnish their bank account. But that process takes quite a bit of time and just gets you paid some time in the future.

If this person is truly a "friend," then you may not want to be that severe. I would suggest (i) working out a long-term payback schedule with some level of interest like 6% (put it in writing.); or (ii) chalking it up to experience and mending the friendship. If you would like assistance in gracefully saving the relationship and having the debt repaid, I would be happy to assist. Ed Stoll 440.552.7063

Read more
Answered on 12/28/11, 5:24 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Ohio