Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Ohio

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

I believe this belongs here (i.e. Civil Court). In 2007 my ex and I purchased a car jointly, and later in that same year she ended the relationship. There was no legally recognized marriage, so no divorce (we were married in Canada, however Ohio does not recognize this marriage and Canada doesn't allow the divorce- a separate matter). In the split, she retained the joint timeshare, and I retained the vehicle. There was never any written agreement on either. I have been the sole payor on the car loan since 2007, and have made consistent, on-time payments.

She has since refinanced the timeshare out of my name. I have been unsuccessful in refinancing the car loan into my name, which I never agreed to do in the first place.

She is now threatening me with a lawsuit in 30 days if I do not have the car refinanced into my name alone. She stated that she will request the judge force me to sell the vehicle, as well as make me pay the court costs. Does she in fact have any legal recourse? If so, what should I do?

Asked on 8/05/09, 3:15 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Dan Guinn Guinn Law Firm, LLC

Doesn't really sound like it. She may just be threatening you. Personally, I would let her sue. It will likely cost her more money and in the end she may not get anything. In fact, she is going to have to pay to get the action filed. So, she could actually lose money.

Feel free to contact me, free of charge, at either or if you have any additional questions or concerns.

I am happy to help in any way that I can.

Read more
Answered on 8/06/09, 3:58 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Ohio