Legal Question in Personal Injury in Ohio

My 17yr old son(non-licensed) got into an accident due to failure to yield....just got the car not even two mths. ago and accident happened 3 days befeore my auto ins. took affect. what happens i have any rights to claim for repairs or even possibly total loss from what i am being told

Asked on 4/13/10, 10:13 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Vaseem Hadi Rendigs, Fry, Kiely & Dennis LLP

I think you're gonna have some problems. Usually, if you already have a policy in effect, you can get coverage for a new or different car even if you haven't officially done the paperwork with the insurance company yet. And that can apply with a chils's car if the intent was to put the child and their car on your existing policy. But, if you did not already have your own policy in effect when the accident occurred, it's doubtful the insurer will cover it. Plus, when it comes to children, the policy would require they be licensed and legally operating the vehicle when the accident occurred. So, I have serious doubts this would be covered. On the other hand, you can go ahead and submitt the claim and see what happens. If it's not that big of a claim, who knows, but you shouldn't have any unrealistic expectations.

Read more
Answered on 4/19/10, 6:26 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Ohio