Legal Question in Personal Injury in Ohio

My attorney pushes me to find another lawyer to transfer my case to him/her. what is his intention. can he just withdraw the case.? what am I supposed to do. Thanks

Asked on 1/30/10, 1:29 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

David Davies Law Office of David H. Davies

If your attorney is not interested in handling your injury claim then you should talk to another attorney! It may be that the attorney feels he can not win your case or that the injury is not serious enough for him to spend his time on. In any event, if your attorney wants off of the case then you do not want the attorney on the case!

As you know, these cases are handled on a contingency basis which means that your attorney does not get paid unless he or she gets money for you. You should be able to talk to another attorney without having to pay a fee. You do need to move quickly. There are strict time limits for injury claims and the clock is running. Your new attorney will need time to get all of the facts and still be able to prepare and file any necessary paperwork,

For more than 30 years I have been helping injured people get the money that they are entitled to. I will be happy to disuss your case with you if you want to give me a call at 40-953-2000 or 1-800-953-2003. No charge or obligation for a confidential telephone conference.

Good Luck


Read more
Answered on 2/04/10, 1:47 pm
Harold Paddock Harold Paddock Co. LPA

Generally, yes, an attorney can withdraw from a case. There may be some limits imposed if the matter is in court if the case is too close to trial, but as a general rule, attorneys can cease representing a client. The more important question is WHY is your attorney trying to withdraw? Is there an ethical problem, is another attorney better qualified to handle the subject matter, has the client failed to pay, does the case no longer have legal merit. etc? You should discuss the reasons for the effort to withdraw with your current counsel.

Read more
Answered on 2/04/10, 1:49 pm
Andrew Tobergte McKenzie & Snyder LLP.

That is a very good question, and one that is very fact specific. Feel free to call me at your earliest convenience. My firm specializes in personal injury and workers' compensation. We are based in Hamilton, but I live in College Hill and would be happy to discuss your personal situation with you at your convenience. Thank you.

Read more
Answered on 2/04/10, 2:14 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Ohio