Legal Question in Personal Injury in Ohio

Auto Accident Settlements

My wife and I were involved in an auto accident 9 months ago. I have been released by my doctor and have been offered a settlement by the other person's insurance company (she was at fault). My medical bills total approximately $2,100.00. The offer is to pay the medical bills, $868.00 for lost wages, and an additional $2,500.00. I have heard that the offer should be 3X medical. Is this still true or is the above offer acceptable? Also, my wife may have a permanent injury. Is the formula for permanent injuries still 3X? Her medical bills are about $7,000 right now. I am considering getting a lawyer for her since she has alot more things to be taken into consideration than I do. Thanks.

Asked on 8/27/02, 12:51 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Rick Sommer Law Offices of Rick J. Sommer

Re: Auto Accident Settlements

There is no hard and fast rule about using multipliers to calculate damages. Without knowing all the facts about you and your wife's injuries and prognoses, I can't advise about the value of your case. However, my initial reaction is that the amount being offered seems low. Don't sell yourself short. If your wife has permanent injuries, I strongly suggest that you contact a personal injury attorney near you. If you don't know anyone, contact your local Bar Association for a referral. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 8/27/02, 1:18 pm
Michael Brandabur Brandabur Law, LLC

Re: Auto Accident Settlements

You are correct that there are many things that should be taken into consideration when agreeing to a settlement. The use of the formula is only a very rough guide and can be very different from the true value of your case. For example if you lost both legs in an accident, but the medical bills totaled less than $6,000, would a settlement of $18,000 for loss of two legs seem proper? As you can see, the formula does not work in all situations. This is especially true when the injuries are permanent. Given the level of concern you've expressed, the extent of the medical bills, and due to the possible permanent nature of some of the injuries, I strongly advise you contact an attorney to ensure you are properly protected.

I wish you well.

Read more
Answered on 8/27/02, 3:48 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Ohio