Legal Question in Personal Injury in Ohio

The insurance company gave me a check to pay for part of the medical bills after an accident. Is there anything I could write above the endorsement to make sure that by signing the check it doesn't close the case?

Thank you for your help.

Asked on 4/15/10, 12:36 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Ryan Fisher Lowe Eklund Wakefield Co. LPA

If the payment was made to you by your own insurance company you should be okay. If it was made to you by the defendants insurance company you need to be a little bit more careful. As long as you are not being required to sign a Release and the check does not say that it is "as settlement" or is a "full and final payment" you are okay. It sounds like you are getting ongoing treatment and you should be having your medical bills paid by your health insurance company anyway. Any monies paid by the ins. co. now will be deducted against your final settlement at the end of the case. I always advise my clients to use their health ins for their bills, it always results in them putting more money in their pocket at the end of the case. Please feel free to contact me if you need further advice.

Ryan Fisher, Esq. 216-781-2600, [email protected],

Read more
Answered on 4/20/10, 1:11 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Ohio