Legal Question in Business Law in Oklahoma

selling interest in a business

i helped a friend when she was forced out of her old business, and i invested money about 8000 into opening a new business with her.. but we have had a falling out of her writing company checks by signing my name to them and so on. she said she would pay me for my share of business but now she has changed locks on doors, because i had to get another job, so i am lost about what to do,

Asked on 10/10/08, 11:54 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Wayne Allison Allison Legal, LLC

Re: selling interest in a business

You should try to assemble any and all documents you have as evidence of the whole ordeal (e.g., written agreements between you two, cancelled checks you wrote, correspondence, email, cancelled checks with your forged signature, etc.). You may have a claim against her for your share, but it will largely depend on the evidence you can produce to support your story.

With these documents assembled you may consider having an attorney review the information. Perhaps it would be as simple as having an attorney represent you in writing to and discussing with her a possible non-lawsuit way out of the situation; otherwise, if the evidence supports it, a lawsuit may be appropriate, and it may even be something you can do in small claims court. Bottom line, you first need to assemble written evidence.

Read more
Answered on 10/11/08, 12:00 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Oklahoma