Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Oklahoma

failure to appear

i was arrested for a bogus check in the ammount of 75.33 in oklahoma, i was supposed to appear in court but i moved to indiana and didnt, i was ordered to do 20 hours of community service but i was not convicted of the crime yet, is this a felony charge or a misdemeanor charge and what punishement does it carry?

Asked on 11/25/07, 1:58 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Re: failure to appear

What you are facing is a warrant for your arrest in spite of the charge. And, it is important to honor your appearances in court no matter what the charge or the degree in which you are being charged. I recommend that you contact the court and/or district attorney to clarify the seriousness of the situation, particularly, if you may be in contempt of court.

Read more
Answered on 11/25/07, 5:55 pm
C. David DuMond Law Offices of David DuMond

Re: failure to appear

You must speak with the lawyer or court officer who arranged for you to have community service, which may have been a disposition to some kind of criminal diversion program so that you would not have a record. I assume from your question that you did not perform the court-ordered twenty hours of community service. If so, you can kiss that diversion program good-bye. Your lawyer in Oklahoma might be able to get you out of "bench warrant," but don't dilly dally. You have put yourself under more laws and chains than ever. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 11/25/07, 7:16 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Oklahoma