Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Oklahoma

Inheritance uncollected

I have the copy of a will where my friend left me his inheritance. I received a payment from the life insurance company after a battle because of the way they made the check out. Now I haven't been able to collect the rest he left me and the attorney handling it says it's an considerable amount because I don't have the original will. I never had the original but I do have a signed copy from him and his 2 witnesses. What are my rights and can he just keep what was rightfully left to me? I cant find even if it was filed in court and he was a Judge. Please advise me on my rights. Thank-You so much. Your help would be greatly appreciated. The family I'm sure has a lot to do with this. They are the reason I did'nt get the life insurance check for so long because it was made out to them in error and instead of returning it they held it and the insurance company told me it was too late to cash another one. Finally after a long dispute they did go ahead and send me another one that I just received. I also have received about 9,000 more from a mutal funds account but not the final disbursement the attorney in Oklahoma is telling me I need the original will for. What do I do? Sincerely, Pam

Asked on 11/19/06, 8:07 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Cheryl Rivera Smith The Smith Law Firm

Re: Inheritance uncollected

You need your own attorney. This is a "will contest situation" and it will be up to the court to make a decision as to the intent of your friend's last wishes. A photocopy can be held valid and the judge will look at and consider all evidence including witness testimony.

Read more
Answered on 11/20/06, 10:42 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Oklahoma