Legal Question in Family Law in Pennsylvania

I had my daughter when I was 15 . As you can imagine I was very young and was barely able to care for her . When she was 4 she went to live with her grandmother as I was kicked out of my parents house . I eventually ended up signing over custody to her grandmother because she said it was the only way she would be able to register her for school and take her to appointments . She has primary physical and primary legal custody . At first , she would allow daughter to spend every other weekend with me and some days out of the week . I can admit that I wasn’t as present as I should have been and my housing situations changed very frequently during that time . Grandmother has kept me from knowing very important things about my daughter like the fact that a couple Yrs ago she was admitted to hospital for trying to commit suicide because she felt I didn’t care for her. However , for the past few years I have kept in frequent contact with my daughter but grandmother will not let me spend more then a few hours with her when I see her . No over nights whatsoever. I provide financially for her . Is it likely a judge will grant either joint custody or force scheduled visitation ? She is 16 now

Asked on 3/19/21, 12:34 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Cary Hall Law Offices of Cary B. Hall, L.L.C.

I think it's highly likely that a court would allow you more time with your daughter and probably even grant you joint legal custody -- IF the court finds that it's in your daughter's best interests to do so. Moreover, since your daughter is 16, the court will strongly take your daughter's wishes into account. You'll need to file a petition to modify custody, however. If you'd like some help with this, kindly contact me offsite. Best of luck to you!

Cary B. Hall, Esquire

Law Offices of Cary B. Hall, L.L.C.

25 West Airy Street, Suite 300

Norristown, PA 19401

(267) 663-9995

(215) 525-4364 - Facsimile

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 3/23/21, 8:08 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Pennsylvania