Legal Question in Family Law in Pennsylvania

My exhusband and I never had a legal agreement for child support and he never paid any. Now that our daughter is going to college, we need to money to pay tuition. Can he be sued to pay back child support now even though she's 18? I know he isn't obligated in Pennsylvania to pay for college, but I was inquiring about him being charged what he never paid. Thank you for your assistance.

Asked on 5/28/16, 8:25 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Davidson Law Office of John A. Davidson

If there was no order there is no way to establish what he would owe. Because child support is based on the combined incomes of the parents and then allocated based on their relative incomes. Of course you would have to go back and obtain the information which probably is impossible.

Further, a support order only goes back to the date of filing the petition. So as of now he doesn't have any obligation to pay so your petition would be dismissed.


Read more
Answered on 5/29/16, 8:45 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Pennsylvania