Legal Question in Family Law in Pennsylvania

My question is not for me,but for my boyfriend. Two years ago his marriage fell apart, she was cheating on him. He wanted to leave her, but she threatened to sue him for abandoment. So they have been living as roommates since them. She opening has a boyfriend at the house, and I have been to their house as well. They do not own any property, they rent, they do have a lease, but the land lord is willing to release them from it. They have no children, they each own their own car, there are no assets or money to split of any kind. He works full time with a minimal salary (750 gross biweekly) and she is collecting unemployment benefits. He resides in PA. How long can she keep him living in the same residence as her and use abandoment as a threat?

Asked on 4/05/12, 7:42 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Davidson Law Office of John A. Davidson

She can keep threatening as long as your boyfriend remains ignorant of the law. First, abandonment is a grounds for divorce not something you can sue for money. Further, if your boyfriend sues her for divorce based on adultery along with 2 years separation then she can even get spousal support.


Read more
Answered on 4/06/12, 6:01 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Pennsylvania