Legal Question in Family Law in Pennsylvania

I am separating from my husband - he seems to think since he received money from the sale of his fathers home it’s all his. We have been together 25 years married 22 years. I have always made more money then him throughout the years.

What are my rights to our assets we from PA

We have a motor home in both our names and 1 car in my name.

Is it ok to move half our money to protect myself since he possibly will leave the US. He has dual citizenship

Thank you

Asked on 12/28/20, 11:56 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Matthew Nahrgang Nahrgang & Associates, P.C.

Inheritance is not marital property. If your father in law is alive, then it might be considered a gift which is also non marital.

With the exceptions just mentioned, marital property is defined as property acquired from the date of marriage to the date of separation, including the increase in value of premarital property. So, the motor home, car, and any other such assets are marital and will be included in any distribution.

While your higher income usually results in a lesser distribution, his non marital assets may even that out. If he is a flight risk, I suggest you consider filing for the divorce right away and asking the court for an Order precluding any use of assets.

I trust this has been helpful but feel free to call or email me on a free initial basis. Please do not reply here as I cant seem to access any such replies.

Best Regards,

Matthew R. Nahrgang, Esquire

35 Evansburg Road, Ste 400

Collegeville, PA 19426

(610) 489-3041 o

(610) 489-3042 fax

Read more
Answered on 12/28/20, 12:32 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Pennsylvania