Legal Question in Insurance Law in Pennsylvania

I sold a car to a junk car place called Peedle back in December 2018 and signed the title over in which they gave me close to 500 dollars for. The car was then sold to a auto part place in January 2019 and seems to have eventually been sold to some one in Florida. It was my first time doing this and I did not realize I was suppose to call the dot and report the sale and have my name transferred off the car I guess. Some time I think In may a insurance started reaching out to me about an accident the car was in but I made them aware I did not own the car when that accident took place and sent over some paper work and they backed off Peedle the company I sold it to has given me a bill of sale taking complete responsibility and admittance of the the sale and explains who they sold it to and all with a header signed and dated. But I have this new lawyer harassing me now asking for money even after I showed him the title and bill of sale he’s still reaching out to me sending a invoice via email and calling my phone saying they are requesting to suspend my license until the sum is paid. I did inform DOT of the sale when I was aware of the error but I’m trying to figure out am I looking at some trouble and do I need a lawyer to resolve this. I haven’t owned the the car and I live in pa the accident happened in Florida months after the sale

Asked on 4/03/20, 6:05 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

They would have to sue you (likely in Pa. to have jurisdiction), obtain a judgment, and transfer the judgment to Pa. before they could suspend your license. On the timing alone, let alone the fact that you have not been notified of any court action, he likely is just blowing smoke. Assuming the lawyer is in Florida, you could try telling him that you will file a complaint against him with the Florida Attorney Consumer Assistance Program (ACAP)-- he contacts you again by email or phone.

Read more
Answered on 4/03/20, 6:46 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Insurance Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania