Legal Question in Social Security Law in Pennsylvania

I have been getting spousal for almost 3 years now and just started to get SSI. I would like to know if I can stop the support and get it all now from SSI? My hisband is not paying too well.

Asked on 9/01/15, 6:35 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Randall Selagy F. Randall Selagy, P.C.

SSI is a needs based program, funded by tax dollars. If you voluntarily decline spousal support, I bet Social Security will still consider it a financial resource and keep your SSI payment the same. You are asking the taxpayers to cover your husband's legal obligation.

Your problem is the poor payments of the support order. Contact Domestic Relations and bring an action to enforce the support order. Contact legal Aid for legal help.

Read more
Answered on 9/01/15, 11:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Social Security Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania