Legal Question in Social Security Law in Pennsylvania

terminating legal services

i am in the appeal stage of social security disability claim and i would like to terminate my attory because i am dissatified of the legal representation i am receiving at this time. Am i able to do that and hire a new lawyer and how does that affect any back pay that would be awarded if i am approved? thank you

Asked on 1/21/09, 2:29 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Randall Selagy F. Randall Selagy, P.C.

Re: terminating legal services

Before your terminate your current attorney, you should call him and explain your dissatisfaction. Perhaps you are unhappy because of the delay is scheduling a hearing. This is beyond the control of your attorney - many Hearing Offices take 18-24 months to schedule a hearing.

You may terminate a representative at any time upon written notice to him and to the Hearing Office. The regulations state that when you have or have had more that one rep, all reps must file a fee petition and seek the approval of the ALJ for any fee. So your 2nd rep's Fee Agreement may not be approved and he, too, will need to file a Fee Petition.

The rep you terminate has the right to file a Fee Petition which should describe all of his time & efforts and the amount of the fee requested.

You have the right to make any comments or objections to either fee petition.

Read more
Answered on 1/21/09, 3:27 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Social Security Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania