Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Puerto Rico


I have divorced from my wife who still lives in Puerto Rico. I have moved to Texas and want to let her have the house for her and my son. I want to remove my name from the title to the house. I was told I could do this with a Warranty/Grant Deed. Is this true? I was also told I could draw it up and just have it notarized in PUerto Rico to do this. Is this correct?

Asked on 1/23/08, 6:12 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Jorge Catala Catala Group

Re: Deed

This matter must be addressed under Puerto Rico Law. In order to transfer title to your son a Donation is the transaction. We can advise you on this matter.

Read more
Answered on 1/24/08, 8:46 am
Johm Smith tom's

Re: Deed

Mr. Catala is correct. You will need to comply with the laws of Puerto Rico if that is where the house is located.

Read more
Answered on 1/24/08, 10:49 am
Julio C. Alejandro Julio C. Alejandro Serrano Attorney at Law

Re: Deed

You need to draft and sign a donation deed. This sort of transaction actually has a tax impact which you must pay.

Read more
Answered on 1/25/08, 3:14 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Puerto Rico