Legal Question in Family Law in Puerto Rico

Child support in Puerto Rico??

It is my understanding that in Puerto Rico I will have to continue pay child support until the child is 21 years old. Is this correct? However, I was told there are exeptions to this. I wanted to know what are the exeptions. In other words, what events will results in me not having to pay child support after the child is over 18 years old in PR?

Asked on 6/16/08, 9:04 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Julio C. Alejandro Julio C. Alejandro Serrano Attorney at Law

Re: Child support in Puerto Rico??

NONE. I am actually not sure if it is all the way to 21 years of age, but, if he or she proceeds to university studies you pay for the undergraduate degree even if he is older than 21. However, I have never litigated a case in which the child is not also a student. However, a minimum wage job will be imputed to both the child and his mother, even if they are not working, since the child should be able to fend for him or herself after the age of 18. (Hence the mom cannot say that she needs to stay at home to look after him or her.)

Read more
Answered on 6/16/08, 9:21 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Puerto Rico