Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Rhode Island

question about wage attachments

I have to appear in court on June 24th,2003 to make an objection to get the funds back that an attorney has attached. The amt is a little over $1,200.00 and is me and my husbands direct deposit payroll wages that this attorney froze on June 13th. I rec'd a Notice of Defendants Objection that I had to fill out with my objection and sign and return to the court and the plaintiffs attorney. This debt is around 4,000.00 and was turned over to the lawyer from Chase Manhattan bank. Also,the credit card was in my old married name,not the one I have now.(I was remarried in May,2001)This debt happened before we married and part of the $ they took was his wages. I had made an agreement last summer to pay this lawyer 100.00 a month and due the 1st of every month. But I lost my job back in March and I sort of ''robbed Peter to pay Paul'' to make ends meet. We have hardly any money now to survive because of,utilities,car insurance..has to be put on hold until I find out what happens on Tues.Do I have a good chance of getting this money back? And if not, do you suggest that I seek legal council? please help!

Asked on 6/22/03, 1:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Patricia Joyce Law Office of Patricia M. Joyce

Re: question about wage attachments

Yes, you should contact an attorney as soon as possible. This office does not handle collection matters, but the RI Bar Association has a Lawyer Referral Service that will provide you with names of attorneys in your area. There may be a $25 fee for a 30 minute consultation. However, depending on your income and/or age, the attorney may handle your case for a reduced fee or without charge.

The telephone # for the RIBA Lawyer Referral Service is 401-421-7799 or you may contact the office via E-MAIL: [email protected]

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Read more
Answered on 6/22/03, 4:31 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Rhode Island