Legal Question in Family Law in South Carolina

contempt of court

if the lawyer doesnt send anything to you or your address about a court date but was sent to someone else are you in contempt of court if you dont go i dont know what area of law

Asked on 2/09/09, 7:08 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Dustin Lee Lee Law Firm, LLC

Re: contempt of court

Hello. I hope all is well with you.

Unfortunately your question leaves out too much to be able to adequately answer it. There are many factors, such as if this is a case that was already initiated that you were already properly served in, or if the person who the documents were sent to was authorized to accept service on your behalf, etc., that are not really addressed.

Because of the complexity of service issues, I strongly suggest contacting an attorney licensed in the state where the court is located IMMEDIATELY, such that you can discuss the individual facts and circumstances of your matter in confidence.

I am located in the Low Country of the state, but if I can be of further assistance, my website is .

Read more
Answered on 2/10/09, 12:33 am
Ben Stevens The Stevens Firm, P.A. Family Law Center

Re: contempt of court

You will only be held in contempt of court as part of a Rule to Show Cause hearing, and notice of those types of hearings must be personally served upon you. So if you were not served (personally) with the RSC paperwork, then you should not be able to be held in contempt of court.

However, please note that these are complex issues, and it is important that they be handled correctly. Therefore, it is important that you consult an experienced family law attorney to find out what options are available to you based on the facts of your particular case.

If you need more information, you can visit my family law blog ( or our website ( I wish you the best of luck.

Ben Stevens

Read more
Answered on 2/11/09, 3:05 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in South Carolina