Legal Question in Family Law in South Carolina

My parents went through a divorce, her in WI & Him in FL. Her boyfriend helped file paperwork due to neither of my parents having anything. Her lawyer only has her side of the story, so in the divorce case she stated a pearl necklace that my father owned, belongs to her. So the judge filed in her way. The necklace was my father's, being married to her, did belong to both. My father stated to my sister and I, he wanted the necklace to go down the family line, for me to give to my daughter. He didn't want my mother to have it and sell for drugs. She is fighting for this necklace. What do I do?

Asked on 7/01/13, 5:26 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Jackson Law Office of John A. Jackson, P.C.

I am sorry to hear about you situation. Unfortunately, if a decision has been made by a judge there is likely little that you can do about it, You can file an appeal but there has to be an error of the law somewhere. One avenue you may want to look at is why your father did not have an attorney. If your father did not have an attorney before and you want to keep the necklace in your family he really needs an attorney now. The other thing you can do is to offer to buy the necklace from your mother. That might save you a lot of hassle. Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 7/01/13, 5:47 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in South Carolina