Legal Question in Family Law in South Carolina

In South Carolina, is there a law that requires me, as the father, to give the mother of my son my address to where I live, especially when I feel unsafe with her having it because of past events at my former residence of her stalking me and mail I received? I received a letter today from her lawyer at my work stating I refused to give it to her, even though she has not even asked for it, and saying I refuse to tell her where I take our son overnight, as if we take trips when he is with me. We have not went out of town anywhere since last year. What information does the law require her to have? None of the info her lawyer is asking for in this letter is stated as something I have to give to her. I am his father and don't ask her where my son is 24/7 and who is keeping him. When he is with me, it shouldn't matter to her where we go. He is always in a safe environment. Any help is appreciated.

Asked on 4/24/13, 12:41 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Ben Stevens The Stevens Firm, P.A. Family Law Center

Typically, the Court will require parents to keep each informed of their addresses and contact information until the children are grown. If there are safety or harassment issues, there are mechanisms to deal with those, such as Restraining Orders, Orders for Protection, etc.

These are complex issues, and it is important that they be handled correctly. Therefore, it is important that you consult an experienced family law attorney to find out what options are available to you based on the facts of your particular case.

If you need more information, you can visit my family law blog ( or our website ( I wish you the best of luck.

Ben Stevens

Read more
Answered on 4/24/13, 12:46 pm
Eric Durand Eric Durand

I agree with Attorney Stevens in that the Family Court will typically include within its Order that both parents must keep each other updated on their respective addresses, keep each other on lists of approved people to access information regarding the child at school, day care, doctor's office, etc. Therefore you should consult your custody order to see what obligations you may have.

Additionally, if your case is ongoing, you can request communication restraints that will only permit communication among the parties pertaining to the child. If the communications regarding the child are excessive, you just have to be sure you are abiding by the Order.

You should consult with an attorney to get advice on your specific case. When you do, be sure to bring your order.

If you would like more information on Family Law issues or easily accessible statutes visit our website at

Read more
Answered on 4/24/13, 2:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in South Carolina