Legal Question in Traffic Law in South Carolina

When you are involved in an accident that is not your fault, do you have to take car to be fixed or can you keep the money that was estimated damages to use as you please?

Asked on 6/05/11, 2:17 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Johnston Law Offices of Robert J. Johnston

As a Personal Injury attorney, I seldom get real involved with the client's property damage, unless they need my help. Most do not and prefer to handle it themselves. Therefore, all I can do is tell you what I've observed former clients do. With the cases that I've observed, the clients usually have a choice. They can either be paid directly from the insurance company for the cost of repairing the car, or they can have the insurance company pay the body shop directly. Either way, it costs the insurance company the same amount. It probably says in the actual policy what your options are. You can also just call the insurance comapany yourself and simply ask them. If you've been injured, that sometimes can make a difference on how the insurance company treats you, as they have more at risk.

Calls and emails are welcome.

Robert J. Johnston, Attorney

Phone: 843-946-0099

Email: [email protected]

Read more
Answered on 6/05/11, 4:58 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in South Carolina