Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Tennessee

Hi, Kenneth Clark I'am 20 years old I was in foster care when I was 15 all the way up to 17 years old in 2009 my father said he got sued for support by the state by me being there for those 2 years. When I turned 17 I went back home for about 6 month and then I moved out. My mother died when I was young and she left me and my 2 brother $3000 a piece since then my older brother received his share when I turned 18 I went and asked my lawyer about my share he said ask your father, long story short my father told me he spent it on the house mortgage payment because he had to pay child support there money I asked him for half so, I can buy a car for work but he told me to take him to court do I have a good chance of winning this case.

Asked on 11/28/11, 5:57 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Ryan Nevin Nevin Law Firm

It seems like you would. The money your mother left you is yours. Your father merely held the money in trust for you. He would only be allowed to use that money for your benefit, and his paying for his mortgage with your money so he could pay child support is not for your benefit.

Read more
Answered on 11/28/11, 7:05 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Tennessee