Legal Question in Elder Law in Texas

I am a 77 year old lady who has lived with an 86 year old man for over 8 years.

During this time his grown children have abused me mentally and physically causing me great emotional distress.

They have done this to try to get me to leave the man. I love him and I know he loves me.

Yesterday the oldest son presented me with an 'eviction notice' and told me I have 30 days to get out.

They ganged up on this elderly man and presssured him into signing it.

He told me he did not want this with tears in his eyes. He loves me. I always knew this.

He forced me to sign a 'rental agreement' when I moved in.

For 8 years I have cooked, cleaned washed and looked after this man I live with. (including frequent incontinence of urine and feces)

Now that the man is going down (diagnosed with renal failure) they are afraid I'm to get some of his money.

I don't want his money. I just want to be with him.

I am elderly, have a heart condition and am in poor health.

They say they want to 'put me somewhere that I'll be taken care of'- though I take care of myself and also the elderly man.

These grown children have abused me mentally and physically.

The daughter and her gown daughter have put their hands on me and bruised my arm trying to prevent me from going into a bedroom and closing the door to get away from verbal abuse.

One of the elderly man's sons, a 53 year old alcoholic (attending AA meetings daily)

came to live with us about a year ago.

He has raised his hand to me and threatened me, and has frequently called me vile, vulgar names, such as MF b----.

I have little money and cannot afford an apartment.

I am under severe emotional distress because of these people and need help badly.

Asked on 7/23/12, 4:42 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark Dunn Mark D. Dunn

Do you have any relatives who can move in with you now?

The "eviction notice" means nothing unless somebody files something with the Justice Court. I assume that this hasn't happened yet.

If someone puts hands on you and bruises you, you should file criminal charges against him.

Where is the "86-year-old man" when all this abuse is going on? What does he do? Does he stand up for you?

Read more
Answered on 7/24/12, 5:35 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in Texas