Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

Child benefits in the event of Death

The woman I am considering marrying has a home in her name, but she is considering adding me to the mortgage. Her concern is that by adding me to the mortgage, if I die, does my son, (her step-son to be)have any claim to the house?

Asked on 3/20/02, 11:14 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

James Grissom Law Office of James P. Grissom

Re: Child benefits in the event of Death

He would have a claim for an undivided portion of the property to the extent of your community property interest. If this is a great concern, you and wife can make joint, reciprocal, contractual wills to disinherit your son to this particular piece of property. If you want my help on this, contact me by e-mail.

Read more
Answered on 3/20/02, 12:54 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas