Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

child has chuld

My child lives in another city. As the father, I have limited influence on her. What are my rights if she becomes pregnant? She is 14 and very street wise. Will i still be 'required' to pay support? Will it make a difference if she is living with her mother or not?

Asked on 2/02/08, 11:02 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator

Re: child has chuld

You will have to continue to pay child support unless (or until) she marries. Then she is treated as an adult.

If she's not with her mom, then mom should not get the child support $$.

Of course, the father of the child will be ordered to pay your daughter child support.

If you are totally confused, I encourage you to sit down with an attorney for an hour and discuss your questions in person.

Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 2/03/08, 4:15 am
TC Langford Langford Law Office

Re: child has chuld

I agree with Ms. Brochstein. I want to add, however, that if you have a 14 year old daughter that you fear is going to show up pregnant, you might want to start asserting some parenting, and rethink her living situation.

Read more
Answered on 2/04/08, 3:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas