Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

My child is 16 years old. She's never met her father and he never wanted to see her. He was ordered to pay child support when she was 12, he only paid for a couple of months then he went to jail and child support stopped. He is out of jail and wants to get the support decreased because he's not making a lot. He owes 20,000 in back child support. My daughter wants to live with him. If I send her to live with him will I have to pay him child support and would he still owe me back child support?

Asked on 5/29/13, 6:39 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kevin Henderson Kevin Henderson Attorney at Law

First, why on earth would you even consider allowing your 16 year old daughter to live with a man she has never met? And who has a criminal record?

Should you decide to let her live with him, he still owes you back child support and you may be able to get a credit against your current support obligation for his back support. It depends on the amount you would be obligated to pay as current support and how the judge views the situation.

Read more
Answered on 5/29/13, 9:41 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas