Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

My ex-husband is planning to take our children out of the country this coming Wednesday. Per our Divorce Decree he was to have given me written notice of his travel plans 21 days before his departure. I reminded him of this but he has ignored me. Now with the virus I do not want him to take the children out of the country. What can I do to prevent him from taking them? I have not signed anything allowing him to take them.

Asked on 3/14/20, 10:16 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bob Leonard Bob Leonard Law Group, PLLC

You have very little time to stop him, but it is possible. Find an attorney VERY EARLY Monday morning., The attorney can draft a temporary restraining order. If has to be filed AND signed by a judge AND served on your husband before he leaves. This will not be easy nor inexpensive.

It is possible that the judge will make you put up a bond to cover the cost of his possibly nonrefundable tickets and other reservations in case he wins. Make sure that you have that kind of cash available because it might take too long to get an actual bond.

Also complicating your situation, all of the family law courthouses in my area (Tarrant County) are closed for most purposes until April 1. Your attorney should be able to find a judge to sign this, but it will be more difficult than usual if your courthouses are closed, also.

Only you can weigh the possible costs against the relief from keeping your kids safe.

Read more
Answered on 3/15/20, 8:55 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas