Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

how to file an answer to the courts after receiving a service of notice

I just need to know what form to use to file a written answer with the clerk(as listed on my notice). I am getting divorced and my husband served me by a process server...i have to file a written answer within 20 days..please tell me where i can find the legal letter for my response, or what to write myself, and who do i send it to...thank you for all of your help..your are greatly appreciated...

Asked on 4/01/02, 10:50 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

James Grissom Law Office of James P. Grissom

Re: how to file an answer to the courts after receiving a service of notice

I am ethically prohibited from referring you to a form, but the library will likely have some books which might help you. Ask the librarian.

Read more
Answered on 4/02/02, 8:57 am
Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator

Re: how to file an answer to the courts after receiving a service of notice

I have several suggestions on how to find the legal form you mentioned:

1. Check this website under "find forms"

The name of the form you want is "Answer". (That is an abbreviation for what was probably once known as answering a lawsuit -- it lets the court know that you intend to be involved in this case and that they cannot go forward without notifying you of upcoming hearings and trial settings.)

HINT: Be sure to include a complete mailing address so that you will receive all notifications.

Be advised: If the mail goes to the wrong address or is returned due to an insufficient address, that is your problem, not anyone else's.

2. Check other Texas legal websites for legal forms.

3. Go to any library - especially a law library -and ask the library for a book on the law. Every law library would have many books on legal forms available.

4. I am looking at a book called O'Connor's Texas Forms for Civil Trials. That book has several examples of what the form should look like and what it should say.

5. You can probably go to any large bookstore and go to their legal section. There should be numerous books on lawsuits in general and on issues involved in a divorce.

Good luck.

If you want to retain an attorney in the Houston area, please give me a call for a free consultation. 713-847-6000. Be sure to let me know that you found me on

Read more
Answered on 4/03/02, 2:36 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas