Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

A friend of mine was married in Texas a year ago and then they moved to Israel. The husband moved back to Texas about two months ago and she remained in Israel. They want to get a divorce. Can she give her father Power of Attorney to sign all the necessary paperwork for her? Does she need a special type of Power of Attorney? I realize she need it notarized in Israel. Any advice?

Asked on 2/22/20, 7:00 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas Daley KoonsFuller PC

If everything is agreed, husband can file for divorce, wife can sign a waiver of service in Israel and e-file it with the court through this web site: (she would need to register, but it's free). Then husband can draft an agreed decree of divorce, sign it, and email it to wife. Wife can sign the agreed decree of divorce and e-file the fully executed decree. Once that is done, depending on the county husband files in, he will go up to the courthouse and ask the judge to finalize the decree or, if it's Collin County, husband can file an affidavit to complete the case, unless it's the 470th district court in which case the judge will automatically sign the decree once a fully agreed and signed decree has been e-filed.

I think a POA to a father is a bad idea. It's an unfair amount of pressure. The process I outlined above lets wife fully participate form Israel.

Read more
Answered on 2/24/20, 8:24 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas