Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Texas

hello, I am wanting to ask about a problem that my brother is having and what his rights are. He moved in with a friend him her and her five kids are on the lease. He had some furniture we gave him previously for when he gets his own place with my mom. the friend Lisa then moved her boyfriend in who is not on the lease. then they kicked my brother out. Lisa's boyfriend has a history of violence so to avoid confrontation with the boyfriend my brother left. They moved his furniture outside under their carport without my brothers knowledge and said if he does not come get it they are going to call the cops because of the zoning laws there. They know that my brother has no way of getting his furniture now he has no vehicle or money to pay someone to help him get it. What are his rights? And if something happens to the furniture Who is responsible

Asked on 3/01/16, 7:42 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Keith Engelke Law Office of S. Keith Engelke

If your brother is on the lease he has the right to keep property there, especially if he is making rent payments. Suggest he contact the police to find out what happened to his furniture. If he did not make any rental payments after he moved out he has less of an argument. Have him contact the local JP court to see if an eviction case was ever filed.

He should also contact the lessor and find out if they even know about the new tenant. If he is moving out, he needs to get his name off of the lease.

Suggest you contact a local real estate lawyer and review the lease with him/her.

Read more
Answered on 3/01/16, 9:54 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Texas