Legal Question in Military Law in Texas

i am currently in the military and overseas i had a car that was reposed my fartherinlaw was a co signer he is now being sued and wants me to pay for it even though i am not the one being sued is there anything he do agianst me to make me pay

Asked on 8/25/10, 12:19 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jeffrey Brashear The Brashear Law Firm, PLLC

Based on what you have written, was the vehicle repoed after you where depolyed overseas? Did you provide notice to the note holder of the vehicle about your assertion of the Servicemember's Civil Relief Act (SCRA)? Did the lean holder obtain a court order allowing the reposession?

Assuming that you are the primary signor on the note and your father-in-law is the co-signer, then dependent upon the language of the agreement; either or both of you may be responsible for the outstanding balance. You need to more fully discuss your rights and options with a local law firm or Legal Service Office.

The above response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an on-going duty to respond to questions. Additionally, the response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

Read more
Answered on 8/30/10, 12:39 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Military Law questions and answers in Texas