Legal Question in Tax Law in Texas

I have had my wages garnished and been informed I owe $10,000 in back federal taxes for the year 2005. I contacted a tax service company Tax Masters and they informed me because I will have an income under $18,900 this year it should be an uncollected situation as I cannot afford to pay. Is this true? I was told by another service that this is not true. My wages per week are at the most $300 and the wage garnishment is $127 a week which does not leave me enough to live on or to even buy groceries.

Would you please give me some advice I would appreciate it.

Asked on 11/12/09, 11:02 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark Dunn Mark D. Dunn

You should probably go see a good bankruptcy lawyer, although he'll charge you $2000 to file the bankruptcy. IRS debts are dischargeable under certain circumstances.

Unfortunately, you may have to quit your job and go into some kind of business for yourself to keep from being a victim of this confiscatory garnishment.

15 USC 1673 is the federal law having to do with limitations on wage garnishment.

Read more
Answered on 11/23/09, 4:36 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Texas